Illinois holds off Iowa 81-68
Mike Davis added 20 points and nine rebounds. He was often the catalyst for the Illini (18-11, 8-8 Big Ten) on a night when Iowa, for a while, refused to go away.
Davis’ short bucket with 12:34 to play gave Illinois a 58-43 lead that was too much for the Hawkeyes (10-18, 3-13).
Illinois led 36-31 at halftime and Iowa closed to within 38-35 early on a basket by Bryce Cartwright. But two free throws by Tisdale after Hawkeyes coach Fran McCaffery drew a technical and Davis’ subsequent basket drained the Hawkeyes.
Melsahn Basabe led Iowa with 17 points. Jarryd Cole added 15.
- Illinois holds off Iowa 81-68
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- Sudden recruiting surge could propel UNLV back to relevance next season
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent