Tulsa storms back, defeats Rice 73-62
TULSA, Okla. (AP)—Justin Hurtt scored 17 points, Jerome Jordan 16 and Ben Uzoh 15 and Tulsa wiped out a 15-point halftime deficit in a 73-62 victory over Rice in the first round of the Conference USA tournament Wednesday night.
Tulsa (22-10), the fifth seed, advances to play fourth seed Marshall in the quarterfinals on Thursday.
The 12th-seeded Owls (8-23) were nearly flawless in the opening 20 minutes, jumping to an 8-0 lead and building it to 26-14. After Tulsa pulled within 28-22, Rice closed with a 13-4 run to lead 41-26 at the break.
Connor Frizzelle, who led the Owls with 17 points, was 4-for-4 from 3-point range in the half. Tamir Jackson had 13 points and Suleiman Braimoh 12 for Rice.
Tulsa outscored Rice 47-21 in the second half. The Hurricane took the lead for good on Hurtt’s dunk at 60-59.
- Tulsa storms back, defeats Rice 73-62
- Sudden recruiting surge could propel UNLV back to relevance next season
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- With Bennie Boatwright back, USC has all the ingredients for a special season
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU