Morehead State beats Jacksonville State 87-54
MOREHEAD, Ky. (AP)—Kenneth Faried scored 24 points and grabbed 19 rebounds to lead Morehead State to an 87-54 rout over Jacksonville State on Tuesday night in the first round of the Ohio Valley Conference tournament.
Faried, who had eight offensive rebounds, shot 10 of 17 from the floor for the second-seeded Eagles (22-9), who advance to the second round to face either Austin Peay or Tennessee Tech on Friday.
Steve Peterson had 14 points and six rebounds for Morehead State. DeMonte Harper had 13 points and Terrance Hill added 11.
The Eagles scored 15 straight points in the first half to claim a 19-2 lead. Ty Proffitt’s driving layup gave Morehead State a 37-9 advantage with 2:42 left before halftime.
Morehead State shot 48 percent from the floor (28-for-58) compared to the seventh-seeded Gamecocks (12-18), who shot 37 percent (19-for-51). Jacksonville State’s Stephen Hall had 20 points.
- Morehead State beats Jacksonville State 87-54
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- Sudden recruiting surge could propel UNLV back to relevance next season
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent