Gardner-Webb 86, N.C.-Asheville 89
ASHEVILLE, N.C. (AP)—Matt Dickey scored 18 points and North Carolina-Asheville defeated Gardner-Webb 89-86 on Saturday.
Dickey also grabbed seven rebounds and dished out six assists for UNC-Asheville (14-15, 11-7 Big South Conference), which won four of its last five games to close out the regular season. John Williams chipped in with 17 points, nine rebounds and five blocks.
J.P. Primm nailed two free throws with 9 seconds left to put UNC-Asheville ahead by three, and Gardner-Webb’s Grayson Flittner’s 3-point attempt with 1.1 seconds left was off target.
Jonathan Moore scored a career-high 26 points for Gardner-Webb (8-21, 5-13), while Anton Silver added 20 points.
The loss officially ended Gardner-Webb’s season. It finished the season tied with Virginia Military Insititute for the eighth and final spot in the Big South tournament, but VMI earned the spot by virtue of a tiebreaker.
- Gardner-Webb 86, N.C.-Asheville 89
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- K.J. Lawson's graceless goodbye to Memphis: Shouting 'F--- Tubby' on Snapchat