Florida Gulf Coast beats Belmont 85-80
FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP)—Reed Baker and Sherwood Brown scored 16 points apiece to pace Florida Gulf Coast to an 85-80 win over Belmont on Saturday.
Brown added seven rebounds for the Eagles (8-20, 5-13 Atlantic Sun Conference), who snapped a seven-game losing streak with the win. Reggie Chambers chipped in with 12 points.
The Eagles led 79-74 with 50 seconds remaining, but Belmont used a quick 6-2 run to cut the lead to 81-80 after Brandon Baker’s 3-pointer with 19 seconds left. However, Belmont would not score again, and Brown and Chambers each made a pair of free throws to secure the win.
Ian Clark led Belmont (17-11, 12-6) with 11 points. The Bruins had a six-game winning streak snapped.
Florida Gulf Coast shot 82.1 percent from the free throw line (23-for-28), while Belmont shot 19-for-30 from the charity stripe (63.3 percent).
- Florida Gulf Coast beats Belmont 85-80
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- Sudden recruiting surge could propel UNLV back to relevance next season
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent