Fjeld leads Vermont over Fairfield 77-67
BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP)—Evan Fjeld scored 17 points to lead Vermont to a 77-67 victory over Fairfield on Saturday.
Nick Vier, Maurice Joseph and Marqus Blakley added 14 apiece for the Catamounts (21-8), who won their seventh in a row.
Vier hit three consecutive 3-pointers in the first 1:19 of the second half, when Vermont increased a 33-26 halftime lead to 42-28.
After the Stags (18-9) got within a point, 58-57, on a three-point play by Colin Nickerson with 4:49 remaining, the Catamounts went on an 11-0 run. A dunk by Blakley made it 69-57 with 2:16 left.
Vermont, of the America East Conference, was 6-for-10 on 3-pointers and shot 48.1 percent (26-for-54) overall, while the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Stags shot 37.3 percent (22-for-59) and were just 6-for-22 behind the arc.
Nickerson scored 20 points and Derek Needham 15 for Fairfield.
- Fjeld leads Vermont over Fairfield 77-67
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- Sudden recruiting surge could propel UNLV back to relevance next season
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent