Denver defeats cold-shooting New Orleans 53-45
NEW ORLEANS (AP)—Chase Hallam scored 19 points, and Nate Rohnert had 17 points and 13 rebounds to lead Denver to a 53-45 victory over New Orleans on Saturday night.
The Pioneers (16-11, 9-7 Sun Belt Conference) shot just 31.8 percent (7-for-22) in the first half but that was enough to gain a 20-10 halftime lead. The Privateers (8-19, 3-13) made just 2 of 17 shots (11.8 percent) in the half and didn’t get their second field goal until 4:24 remained.
Both teams shot better in the second half and New Orleans was able to cut its deficit to one point three times, the last at 41-40 with 2:29 to play.
Denver held New Orleans off at the free throw line, with Rohnert going 6-for-6 over the final 2:01 and Hallam making two free throws and a jumper.
Carl Blair scored 17 points for New Orleans, making 6 of 8 shots. The rest of the Privateers finished 7-for-33 (21.2 percent).
- Denver defeats cold-shooting New Orleans 53-45
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- Sudden recruiting surge could propel UNLV back to relevance next season
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent