Houston Baptist beats NJIT 62-58
NEWARK, N.J. (AP)—Andrew Gonzalez scored 31 points and Wendell Preadom added 17 to lead Houston Baptist to a 62-58 win over New Jersey Institute of Technology on Thursday night.
Gonzalez went 14-for-16 from the foul line for the Huskies, who finished 21-for-23 from the stripe (91.3 percent). NJIT was just 8-for-17 from the line (40 percent).
NJIT led by nine points going into the locker room, but Houston Baptist (7-19, 6-2 Great West Conference) outscored the Highlanders 40-27 to seal it in the second half.
The Highlanders lost despite outrebounding the Huskies 42-34. Houston Baptist forced NJIT into 18 turnovers while committing just 13.
Isaiah Wilkerson paced NJIT (7-15, 2-3) with 19 points, Jheryl Wilson had 15 and Chris Flores added 12.
Houston Baptist snapped a two-game losing streak, while NJIT has dropped back-to-back games.
- Houston Baptist beats NJIT 62-58
- Sudden recruiting surge could propel UNLV back to relevance next season
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- With Bennie Boatwright back, USC has all the ingredients for a special season
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent