Appalachian St. holds off Davidson 66-56
BOONE, N.C. (AP)—Donald Sims scored 25 points, making all his attempts from both 3-point range and at the foul line, to lead Appalachian State in a 66-56 win over Davidson on Thursday night.
Sims finished 2-for-2 from beyond the arc and 5-for-5 at the charity stripe for the Mountaineers (15-10, 9-4 Southern Conference), who have won back to back games since losing 87-76 to Division II King College on Feb. 1.
Kellen Brand and Marcus Wright added 10 points apiece for Appalachian State — each hitting a pair of 3s.
The Mountaineers finished 6-for-9 from long range (66.7 percent) compared to just 9-for-32 (28.1 percent) for the Wildcats.
Davidson led by two points at halftime but Appalachian State went on an 8-0 run midway through the second, taking a 58-49 lead it never relinquished.
Bryant Barr led Davidson (12-12, 7-5) with 15 points.
- Appalachian St. holds off Davidson 66-56
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- K.J. Lawson's graceless goodbye to Memphis: Shouting 'F--- Tubby' on Snapchat