Hampton beats Winston-Salem 55-53
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP)—Vincent Simpson knocked down a 3-pointer with 13 seconds left, lifting Hampton to a 55-53 win over Winston-Salem State on Monday night.
Simpson, who finished with 12 points, scored seven of those in a row in the game’s final 1:35 for the Pirates.
Brian Fisher’s layup with 1:53 left put the Rams up 50-48, but Simpson took over from there. He hit two free throws, dropped in a layup and then finished the Rams off with his final 3-pointer.
Andrew Jackson missed a late 3 for a chance to tie for the Rams.
Charles Funches also scored 12 points as the only other player in double figures for the Pirates (8-15), who have alternated wins and losses since taking back to back games in early January.
Fisher was the lone player in double figures for the Rams (9-13), scoring 11. The Rams missed a chance to extend their winning streak to a season-best three games.
- Hampton beats Winston-Salem 55-53
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- Sudden recruiting surge could propel UNLV back to relevance next season
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent