Grambling defeats Southern U. 65-59
GRAMBLING, La. (AP)—Donald Qualls scored 19 points and Ariece Perkins had a double-double to lead Grambling to a 65-59 victory over Southern U. on Saturday.
Qualls hit four 3-pointers, and Perkins had 14 points and 12 rebounds as the Tigers (5-13, 3-7 Southwestern Athletic Conference) ended a five-game losing streak.
Grambling used a 16-5 run sandwiched around halftime to take a 43-29 lead with 16:55 remaining. Qualls, Perkins, Rupert Rose and Greg Dillon hit 3-pointers during the run.
Southern (4-18, 2-8) cut the deficit to 58-55 on Tony McGilveary’s free throw with 58 seconds to play, but Qualls and Perkins each hit three free throws to push the lead to 64-55 with 21 seconds left.
Madut Bol scored 11 points for Southern, which is 1-7 in its past eight games.
The teams split the season series, with Southern winning 73-67 on Jan. 9.
- Grambling defeats Southern U. 65-59
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent
- Sudden recruiting surge could propel UNLV back to relevance next season
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- K.J. Lawson's graceless goodbye to Memphis: Shouting 'F--- Tubby' on Snapchat