Valparaiso edges Illinois-Chicago 64-58
CHICAGO (AP)—Brandon Wood scored 16 points to lead four teammates in double figures and Valparaiso defeated Illinois-Chicago 64-58 Thursday night.
Howard Little scored 14 points, Michael Rogers 11 and Brandon McPherson 10 for the Crusaders (9-11, 4-4 Horizon). Cory Johnson had nine points and 12 rebounds for Valparaiso, which won despite shooting just 32 percent from the field in the game.
K. C. Robbins led the Flames (5-13, 1-7) with 14 points. Jeremy Buttell scored 13 and Chris Buchanan 11 for UIC, which shot 40 percent.
The Crusaders made up the difference at the free-throw line, going 26-for-34 compared to 10-of-17 for Illinois-Chicago.
Valparaiso led 33-26 at halftime and hit just five field goals after that, but scored 20 points at the foul line in the second half.
- Valparaiso edges Illinois-Chicago 64-58
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- K.J. Lawson's graceless goodbye to Memphis: Shouting 'F--- Tubby' on Snapchat
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent
- Allonzo Trier's return makes Arizona a leading candidate for preseason No. 1