Southern Illinois ends skid, tops Evansville 65-57
EVANSVILLE, Ind. (AP)—Carlton Fay hit his last three 3-pointers and scored 15 points Saturday night to help Southern Illinois break a four-game losing streak with a 65-57 victory over Evansville.
Tony Freeman added 13 points and Gene Teague came off the bench to hit 5 of 5 and score 12 points in 17 minutes for the Salukis (10-6, 3-4 Missouri Valley).
The Purple Aces (6-11, 0-7) got 22 points from freshman Colt Ryan, though he made only 6 of 18. Evansville lost its eighth in a row.
Southern Illinois shot only 40 percent (22 of 55), but Evansville could not take advantage, hitting just 41.3 percent (19 of 46).
The Salukis led 33-25 at the break. Ryan’s 3-pointer cut the gap to 45-42 with 8:58 left, but Evansville could get no closer.
- Southern Illinois ends skid, tops Evansville 65-57
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- Sudden recruiting surge could propel UNLV back to relevance next season
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent