Clavell leads Stephen F. Austin to 66-57 victory
HUNTSVILLE, Texas (AP)—Gilberto Clavell had 21 points and 12 rebounds Saturday to lead Sam Houston State to a 66-57 victory over Stephen F. Austin in the Southland Conference opener for both teams.
Josten Crow added 14 points and 14 rebounds for Sam Houston (9-5), which prevailed despite making only 10 of 19 shots from the free-throw line and 4 of 18 from 3-point range.
Eddie Williams led Stephen F. Austin (10-4) with 20 points. Jordan Glynn added 10 points and 11 rebounds.
Sam Houston led 29-22 at halftime, but SFA battled back to take a three-point lead with 14:27 to play in the second half.
After 10 lead changes, the last with 6:26 remaining, the Bearkats ended the game with a 16-8 run. Preston Brown scored the go-ahead basket on a jumper to give Sam Houston a 50-49 lead.
- Clavell leads Stephen F. Austin to 66-57 victory
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- K.J. Lawson's graceless goodbye to Memphis: Shouting 'F--- Tubby' on Snapchat