Fairfield 61, St. Peter’s 48
JERSEY CITY, N.J. (AP)—Freshman Derek Needham scored 19 of his 20 points in the second half to lift Fairfield to a 61-48 win over St. Peter’s on Sunday.
Needham finished 6-for-14 from the floor, including five 3-pointers, all in the second half. Anthony Johnson added 12 points for the Stags (6-2, 2-0 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference), who have won four of their past five games.
The Stags built a 10-0 lead in the first 4 minutes of the game and took their biggest lead at 20-8 with 7:46 before halftime. But Saint Peter’s took over from there, outscoring the Stags 17-4 to take a 25-24 halftime lead.
Midway through the second, though, Mike Evanovich hit a jumper that pushed the Stags in front at 38-37. The basket started a 11-0 run that opened the Stags’ advantage to 11 points at 47-37, and they never looked back.
Wesley Jenkins led the Peacocks (3-4, 1-1) with 12 points.
- Fairfield 61, St. Peter's 48
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- Sudden recruiting surge could propel UNLV back to relevance next season
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent