Seton Hall beats South Florida 68-54
NEW YORK (AP)—Jeremy Hazell scored 23 points to lead Seton Hall to a 68-54 victory over South Florida on Tuesday night, snapping the Pirates’ five-game losing streak in the Big East tournament.
Eugene Harvey added 16 points for Seton Hall (17-14) in the opening-round win that sent the 11th-seeded Pirates on to face sixth-seeded and 18th-ranked Syracuse in the second round on Wednesday at Madison Square Garden.
Dominique Jones had 14 points for the Bulls (9-22), who were making their first appearance in the Big East tournament since joining the conference four years ago.
Hazell scored 12 points in the Pirates’ 21-9 run to open the second half that gave them a 51-41 lead with 12:05 left. Seton Hall, which last won a game in the tournament in the opening round in 2003, pulled away by holding South Florida to three field goals over the final 11 minutes.
- Seton Hall beats South Florida 68-54
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- Sudden recruiting surge could propel UNLV back to relevance next season
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent