McKnight’s lay-in gives Akron win in MAC tourney
CLEVELAND (AP)—Brett McKnight’s lay-in with less than a second left gave Akron a 93-92 overtime win over Toledo in the opening-round of the Mid-American Conference basketball tournament Tuesday night.
Clayton Sterling’s off-balance layup gave Toledo a 92-91 lead with six seconds left.
On the next possession, Akron’s Anthony Hitchens, who tied the game on a 3-pointer at the end of regulation, threw a lob pass to McKnight under the basket, who scored with .05 seconds left.
The No. 12-seeded Rockets (7-25) missed a halfcourt shot at the buzzer.
Chris McKnight led Akron with 18 points, Nate Linhart added 16 and Brett McKnight finished with 14. Jonathan Amos led Toledo with 24 points. Tyrone Kent added 21.
Fifth-seeded Akron (20-12) plays No. 4 seed Miami in the quarterfinals Thursday night.
- McKnight's lay-in gives Akron win in MAC tourney
- Sudden recruiting surge could propel UNLV back to relevance next season
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- With Bennie Boatwright back, USC has all the ingredients for a special season
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU