Rutgers holds off South Florida 45-42
PISCATAWAY, N.J. (AP)—JR Inman had 10 points and 12 rebounds as Rutgers held on for a 45-42 win over South Florida on Saturday.
The Scarlet Knights (11-20, 2-16 Big East) seemed to be in command late, holding a 43-34 lead with eight minutes left to play. But South Florida crawled back with an 8-0 run before Rutgers’ Earl Pettis made a tip-in with 13.1 seconds.
South Florida then had a chance to tie the score, but Augustus Gilchrest missed a 3-pointer from the top of the arc in the final seconds.
Dominique Jones led South Florida (9-21, 4-14) with 11 points on 5-for-19 shooting, and he also pulled down six rebounds. Chris Howard finished with 10 points, six rebounds and five assists for the Bulls.
Anthony Farmer also scored 10 points for Rutgers, which snapped an eight-game losing streak with the win.
- Rutgers holds off South Florida 45-42
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- K.J. Lawson's graceless goodbye to Memphis: Shouting 'F--- Tubby' on Snapchat