Fairfield gets 18 from Evanovich in win
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP)—Mike Evanovich scored 18 points as fifth-seeded Fairfield held off fourth-seeded Manhattan 68-61 in the quarterfinal round of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference tournament Saturday afternoon.
Herbie Allen added 17 for the Stags (17-14, 10-9 MAAC), who shot 50 percent from the floor. Yorel Hawkins added 12 points and 11 rebounds.
Darryl Crawford scored 21 points for the Jaspers (16-14, 9-10 MAAC), while Chris Smith added 14.
Fairfield led 25-24 at halftime but that edge was erased by a 13-0 Manhattan run. Fairfield countered with a 12-2 run of its own early in the second half, punctuated by Greg Nero’s 3-point play, to take the lead for good with 12:33 to go. Nero finished with 11 points.
Fairfield advances to face the winner of the Siena-Canisius game in Sunday’s semifinal round.
- Fairfield gets 18 from Evanovich in win
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- K.J. Lawson's graceless goodbye to Memphis: Shouting 'F--- Tubby' on Snapchat