North Texas defeats Florida Atlantic 79-73
DENTON, Texas (AP)—Josh White scored 24 points and Eric Tramiel had 21 and North Texas held off a late charge by Florida Atlantic for a 79-73 victory in a first-round game of the Sun Belt Conference tournament Wednesday.
North Texas (19-11) led 62-48 at the 10:15 mark of the second half before Florida Atlantic (6-26) went on a 27-15 run. Paul Graham III scored 17 of his 23 points during that span to help close the gap to 75-73 with 48.7 seconds remaining.
Dominique Johnson and White each made two free throws in the final 12.2 seconds to secure the contest for North Texas, which faces Middle Tennessee Sunday in a second round game at Hot Springs, Ark.
George Odufuwa added 13 for the Mean Green.
Carlos Moreno had 15 points and Shavar Richardson 11 points for Florida Atlantic, which was winless in all 18 of its road games this season.
- North Texas defeats Florida Atlantic 79-73
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- K.J. Lawson's graceless goodbye to Memphis: Shouting 'F--- Tubby' on Snapchat