Jackson State tops Texas Southern 72-63
JACKSON, Miss. (AP)—Darrin Griffin scored 14 points and Jackson State beat Texas Southern 72-63 for its sixth straight win on Saturday night.
Jeremy Caldwell hit two free throws and a jumper within a 40 second span to give Jackson State (11-13, 10-2, Southwestern Athletic Conference) a 60-55 lead with 4:13 remaining.
Texas Southern (2-22, 2-9), which trailed 31-19 at halftime, cut the deficit to 56-55 with 4:53 left to play.
Garrison Johnson added 13 points, Caldwell and Grant Maxey each chipped in 12, and Rod Melvin tallied 11 for Jackson State. The Tigers shot 70 percent from the free-throw line (24 of 34).
Texas Southern was paced by 12 points from Deandre Hall. Jacques Jones and Matthew Miller added 11 each.
Texas Southern, which lost its third straight and ninth of its last 11 games, committed 22 turnovers.
- Jackson State tops Texas Southern 72-63
- Sudden recruiting surge could propel UNLV back to relevance next season
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- With Bennie Boatwright back, USC has all the ingredients for a special season
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU