American holds on for 52-50 win over Bucknell
LEWISBURG, Pa. (AP)—Derrick Mercer scored 17 points and broke a late tie with a layup, leading American to a 52-50 victory over Bucknell on Wednesday night.
The teams were tied at 48-all when Mercer scored his final points on a lay-in with 4:31 remaining. Frank Borden hit a pair of free throws with 1:43 left to push the lead to four points.
Bryan Cohen hit a pair of free throws with 1:31 left to pull Bucknell within the final two-point margin, and Darryl Shazier’s 3-point try at the buzzer missed the mark.
Garrison Carr scored 13 points for American (16-7, 8-1 Patriot League), which led by 10 points early in the second half.
Patrick Behan and Cohen finished with 13 point each for Bucknell (5-19, 2-8). Justin Castleberry finished with 12 points.
- American holds on for 52-50 win over Bucknell
- Sudden recruiting surge could propel UNLV back to relevance next season
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- With Bennie Boatwright back, USC has all the ingredients for a special season
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU