BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP)—A.D. Vassallo drained four free throws in the final 16.4 seconds of overtime to seal Virginia Tech’s 91-87 win over North Carolina State on Sunday.
The Hokies (15-7, 5-3 Atlantic Coast Conference) rallied from a late 18-point deficit in the win, which put an end to their six-game losing streak against the Wolfpack (12-9, 2-6).
Virginia Tech used strong defense in the final 10 minutes of the second, and rallied to tie the game at 76-all. The Hokies held the Wolfpack to one field goal in the final 9:51, and closed regulation with a 21-10 run.
The Hokies tied the game with 17.9 seconds left on a short jumper by Vassallo over N.C. State’s Courtney Fells, sending the game into OT. Vassallo’s fouls shots would be the difference in the extra frame.
Vassallo led the Hokies with 24 points.
Ben McCauley paced the Wolfpack with 25.
- Virginia Tech beats NC State 91-87 in OT
- Sudden recruiting surge could propel UNLV back to relevance next season
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- With Bennie Boatwright back, USC has all the ingredients for a special season
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU