Maryland 57, Georgia Tech 56
ATLANTA (AP)—Greivis Vasquez scored 19 points and Maryland held off Georgia Tech at the buzzer for its eighth straight victory over the Yellow Jackets, 57-56 on Sunday night.
Georgia Tech had two chances at the win after Eric Hayes missed the first free throw of a 1-and-1 with 16.7 seconds left. Georgia Tech’s Lewis Clinch missed on a drive in the lane, but teammate Iman Shumpert chased down the long rebound in the corner and managed to get off a 3-pointer. It was a little long, bouncing high off the rim as the horn sounded.
Maryland (15-8, 4-5 Atlantic Coast Conference) swept the season series and extended its domination of the Yellow Jackets (10-12, 1-8), who haven’t beaten the Terrapins since the 2003-04 season. Georgia Tech committed 24 turnovers.
Shumpert scored 13 points for the Yellow Jackets, while Hayes added 15 points for Maryland.
- Maryland 57, Georgia Tech 56
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- K.J. Lawson's graceless goodbye to Memphis: Shouting 'F--- Tubby' on Snapchat
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent
- Allonzo Trier's return makes Arizona a leading candidate for preseason No. 1