Western Kentucky beats South Alabama 67-59
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. (AP)—Orlando Mendez-Valdez scored 24 points, including going 6-for-10 on 3-pointers, to lead Western Kentucky in a 67-59 win over South Alabama on Saturday.
Steffphon Pettigrew and A.J. Slaughter scored 13 points apiece for the Hilltoppers (17-7, 11-2 Sun Belt Conference), who have won four straight games and eight of nine.
DeAndre Coleman led the Jaguars (13-11, 6-7) with 13 points. Brandon Davis, Domonic Tilford and Ronald Douglas added 12 points each.
The Hilltoppers led by seven points at halftime and held off the Jaguars in the second half by outscoring them 34-33.
Western Kentucky hit 16 of 20 free throws, while South Alabama went just 9-for-16 from the line. The Hilltoppers also hit 7 of 19 shots from 3-point range. The Jaguars managed just two 3s in 12 attempts.
- Western Kentucky beats South Alabama 67-59
- Sudden recruiting surge could propel UNLV back to relevance next season
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- With Bennie Boatwright back, USC has all the ingredients for a special season
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU