Western Carolina holds off Furman 63-54
CULLOWHEE, N.C. (AP)—Brandon Giles scored five of his 20 points in the last 2:35 to help Western Carolina withstand a late Furman rally in a 63-54 win on Thursday night.
The Catamounts (10-9, 5-4 Southern Conference) also defeated the Paladins 68-57 on Jan. 3.
Furman (3-16, 1-9) was trying to win two games in a row for the first time this season and failed to reach 60 points for the fourth consecutive game.
Western Carolina scored the last five points of the first half and the first five of the second to lead 34-20.
Furman cut the deficit to 55-52 with 3:09 left, then Giles hit a 3-pointer. He also hit two free throws as the Catamounts went 5 of 7 from the stripe down the stretch.
Harouna Mutombo added 17 points for Western Carolina.
Jordan Miller paced Furman with 11 points and Connor Nolte and Bryson Barnes had 10 apiece.
- Western Carolina holds off Furman 63-54
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- K.J. Lawson's graceless goodbye to Memphis: Shouting 'F--- Tubby' on Snapchat