Evansville rallies past Drake 65-62
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP)—Kaylon Williams drained a 3-pointer as time ran out Thursday, capping a 10-point Evansville run and lifting the Purple Aces to a 65-62 win over Drake in a game delayed by a day due to weather.
The Aces (13-7, 5-5 Missouri Valley Conference) fell behind 62-55 on a pair of free throws by Drake’s Craig Stanley with 3:15 remaining. But the Bulldogs (14-8, 5-5) didn’t score again. They missed a chance down the stretch when Stanley turned the ball over with four seconds left and the game tied 62-all.
Williams then made his second field goal of the game as time ran out. He finished with nine points.
Nate Garner had 20 points and six offensive rebounds for the Aces. Shy Ely added 18 points and James Haarsma 10.
Josh Young paced Drake with 16 points, Jonathan Cox chipped in 14 points and nine rebounds and Stanley finished with 12 points.
- Evansville rallies past Drake 65-62
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- K.J. Lawson's graceless goodbye to Memphis: Shouting 'F--- Tubby' on Snapchat
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent
- Allonzo Trier's return makes Arizona a leading candidate for preseason No. 1