Providence tops Seton Hall 98-93 in OT
NEWARK, N.J. (AP)—Jeff Xavier had 20 points and Weyinmi Efejuku scored 19 as Providence held off Seton Hall 98-93 in overtime Thursday night, keeping the Pirates winless in Big East play at 0-6.
In a game featuring 18 lead changes and 12 ties, Providence survived despite not hitting a field goal for the final seven minutes of regulation and the first two minutes of overtime. The Friars (13-6, 5-2) went ahead for good on two free throws by Xavier with 1:43 to play, and used a 7-2 closing run to spoil a 30-point effort by Pirates guard Jeremy Hazell.
Marshon Brooks added 14 points and Jonathan Kale scored 13 for the Friars, who had nearly twice as many free throws as the Pirates. Providence shot 31-for-42 from the free throw line, compared to 12-for-22 by Seton Hall, which fell to 9-9 overall with its eighth loss in nine games.
- Providence tops Seton Hall 98-93 in OT
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- K.J. Lawson's graceless goodbye to Memphis: Shouting 'F--- Tubby' on Snapchat