Samford holds off Elon 55-51
ELON, N.C. (AP)—Trey Montgomery scored 20 points to lead Samford to a 55-51 victory over Elon on Thursday night.
It was the third consecutive win for the Bulldogs (9-8, 4-4 Southern Conference), who sent the Phoenix (4-11, 1-6) to their seventh straight loss.
It was the first meeting between the two programs.
Elon led 45-44 on Drew Spradlin’s 3-pointer with 7:11 remaining in the game, but Montgomery and Bryan Friday hit consecutive layups to give Samford a 48-45 lead with 4:11 left.
The Bulldogs led 50-45 when Elon’s Brett James scored to cut the margin to 50-47 with 3:18 remaining, but the Phoenix couldn’t get closer.
Friday added 14 points for Samford, which shot 51.1 percent from the floor (23 of 45).
James led Elon with 21 points.
- Samford holds off Elon 55-51
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- K.J. Lawson's graceless goodbye to Memphis: Shouting 'F--- Tubby' on Snapchat