VCU beats Towson 78-71
TOWSON, Md. (AP)—Eric Maynor had 27 points and nine assists, Larry Sanders added 13 points and 10 rebounds, and Virginia Commonwealth defeated Towson 78-71 on Wednesday night.
Kirill Pishchalnikov scored 12 points for the Rams (12-5, 5-1 Colonial Athletic Association), who have won four straight games. VCU improved to 15-1 all-time against the Tigers.
Josh Thornton tallied 20 points and Junior Hairston added 18 points and 10 rebounds for Towson (7-11, 2-4), which has dropped three straight. Jarrel Smith scored 13 points.
Lance Kearse’s turnaround jumper ignited a 10-0 run that erased an early 15-13 Towson lead. Maynor added two free throws, Sanders scored on a bank shot and a follow on his own miss, and Bradford Burgess converted a transition layup for a 23-15 VCU lead with 9:16 remaining in the first half.
- VCU beats Towson 78-71
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- K.J. Lawson's graceless goodbye to Memphis: Shouting 'F--- Tubby' on Snapchat