Drake beats Wichita St. 74-69
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP)—Josh Young had 16 points and a key three-point play down the stretch to help Drake beat Wichita State 74-69 Sunday in the Missouri Valley Conference.
Drake (13-4, 3-1) closed the game on a 7-2 run in the final 1:38 of the game.
Wichita State’s Graham Hatch tied it at 67 with two free with 2:23 remaining. But the Shockers (6-10, 0-5) got only one more basket down the stretch.
Young’s three-point play with 1:38 remaining broke the tie and Craig Stanley scored the last four points for the Bulldogs.
Josh Parker had 15 points, Jonathan Cox added 13 and Stanley 12 for Drake.
The Shockers were led by Clevin Hannah with 22 points and Toure Murray with 19.
Wichita State led 40-36 at the half but shot 35 percent in the second half.
- Drake beats Wichita St. 74-69
- Sudden recruiting surge could propel UNLV back to relevance next season
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- With Bennie Boatwright back, USC has all the ingredients for a special season
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU