Georgia Tech beats Georgia 67-62
ATLANTA (AP)—Zachery Peacock scored 18 points and Georgia Tech rallied from a 13-point deficit to beat Georgia 67-62 on Tuesday night, completing a sweep of its state rival in the two major sports.
On the heels of a 45-42 victory in football, the Yellow Jackets (9-5) fought back in a sloppy game that provided little hope either team is on the verge of turning around their disappointing seasons.
Peacock drove to the hoop to put Georgia Tech ahead for good, 62-60, with 1:23 remaining. Travis Leslie got open in the lane for Georgia, only to walk as he set up for a dunk.
One minute later, Georgia Tech’s Gani Lawal jammed home the rebound off Peacock’s missed jumper with 20.6 seconds to go. Lewis Clinch wrapped it up with two free throws.
Georgia (9-6) was led by Trey Thompkins with 20 points.
- Georgia Tech beats Georgia 67-62
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- K.J. Lawson's graceless goodbye to Memphis: Shouting 'F--- Tubby' on Snapchat