VMI beats Gardner-Webb 96-92
BOILING SPRINGS, N.C. (AP)—Keith Gabriel scored 34 points to lead Virginia Military Institute in a 96-92 win against Gardner-Webb on Saturday night.
Gabriel hit seven 3-pointers and was also a perfect 5-for-5 from the free-throw line for the Keydets (11-2, 3-0 Big South Conference). Chavis Holmes added 27 points and Austin Kenon chipped in with 21, including hitting five shots from beyond the arc.
Grayson Flittner led the Runnin’ Bulldogs (5-8, 1-2) with 21 points, Aaron Linn added 18 and Nate Blank had 13.
VMI hit 16 of 37 3-pointers compared to an 8 of 24 mark for Gardner-Webb.
After trailing for most of the second half, Linn’s four-point play put the Runnin’ Bulldogs up 88-86 with 3:35 left. But Gabriel’s 3-pointer on the next possession put the Keydets ahead for good.
- VMI beats Gardner-Webb 96-92
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- Sudden recruiting surge could propel UNLV back to relevance next season
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent