UNLV over New Mexico, 60-58
LAS VEGAS (AP)—UNLV’s TreVon Willis had 15 points Saturday night to lead the Rebels to a 60-58 victory against New Mexico in the Mountain West Conference opener for both schools.
UNLV (13-2, 1-0) trailed 52-50 with 4:23 to play before going on an 8-1 run to take the lead for good. Willis had six consecutive points in the rally as the Rebels won their eighth straight game.
New Mexico’s Jonathan Willis hit a 3-pointer with 16 seconds to play to cut New Mexicos deficit to 58-56. But Willis connected on 2-of-4 fouls shots to seal the victory.
Joe Darger had nine points and 10 rebounds for UNLV, and Rene Rougeau added nine points and seven rebounds.
New Mexico (9-6, 0-1) got a game-high 19 points from Daniel Faris. Tony Danridge had 10 points and 10 rebounds for the Lobos, and Nate Garth added nine points.
- UNLV over New Mexico, 60-58
- Sudden recruiting surge could propel UNLV back to relevance next season
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- With Bennie Boatwright back, USC has all the ingredients for a special season
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU