Navy defeats Longwood 81-80
ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP)—Kaleo Kina hit a pair of free throws with 7.3 seconds to play to give Navy an 81-80 victory over Longwood on Tuesday night.
Longwood (6-8) had gone ahead 80-79 on a basket by Kevin Swecker with 11 seconds to play, wiping out a seven-point Navy (9-4) lead with 2:41 to play.
After Swecker’s basket, Kina drove the lane and was fouled by Billy Robinson. Kina hit the two free throws to put the Midshipmen up by the final margin. Longwood had a shot attempt to win the game, but E.J. Dawson missed a layup just before the buzzer.
Kina led Navy with 21 points and Chris Harris added 20 points. Mark Veazey added 12 points and nine rebounds for the Midshipmen.
Ryan Bogan led the Lancers with 21 points and Dana Smith scored 19 points before fouling out with 44 seconds to play. Swecker had 13 points, scoring 11 in the second half.
- Navy defeats Longwood 81-80
- Sudden recruiting surge could propel UNLV back to relevance next season
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- With Bennie Boatwright back, USC has all the ingredients for a special season
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU