Buffalo beats Colorado State, wins Hawaii tourney
HONOLULU (AP)—Rodney Pierce had 17 points and seven rebounds to lead Buffalo to a 67-53 win over Colorado State Tuesday in the championship game of the Outrigger Hotels Rainbow Classic.
Andy Robinson had 13 points and was named the tournament’s Most Valuable Player. Greg Gamble added 11 points for the Bulls (8-4).
Colorado State’s Andre McFarland hit a 3-pointer with 6:10 left in the first half to make it 34-25, but the Bulls answered with a 9-0 run to tie it at 34 at halftime.
Buffalo opened the second half with a 15-7 run to take a 49-41 lead with 11:58 left to play. Colorado State (5-9) pulled within 49-46 after Andy Ogide’s putback at the 8:17 mark. But Buffalo got back-to-back 3-pointers from Andy Robinson and Calvin Betts to extend its lead to nine with 6:33 to play.
Marcus Walker led the Rams with 12 points.
- Buffalo beats Colorado State, wins Hawaii tourney
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- K.J. Lawson's graceless goodbye to Memphis: Shouting 'F--- Tubby' on Snapchat