Powell lifts Santa Barbara past Ball State 71-51
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. (AP)—James Powell scored 15 points and UC Santa Barbara preserved a large first-half lead for a 71-51 win over Ball State on Monday.
Powell, who scored 12 of his points before halftime, hit back-to-back 3s during a 16-2 run to end the first half, putting Santa Barbara ahead 41-23.
Jordan Weiner scored 11 points and hit all three of his 3-point attempts in his first start for the Gauchos (6-6). Chris Devine and James Nunnally each scored 12.
Anthony Newell led Ball State (5-6) with 14 points and nine rebounds.
Brawley Chisholm made a trio of 3-pointers during a 90-second barrage in the first half to bring the Cardinals within 25-21, but the Gauchos outscored them by 14 points before halftime.
- Powell lifts Santa Barbara past Ball State 71-51
- Sudden recruiting surge could propel UNLV back to relevance next season
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- With Bennie Boatwright back, USC has all the ingredients for a special season
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU