Va. Commonwealth beats Hampton 59-54
RICHMOND, Va. (AP)—Larry Sanders notched a double-double, tallying career-highs with 21 points and 19 rebounds, to lead Virginia Commonwealth in a 59-54 win against Hampton on Saturday night.
Sanders hit 8 of 11 field goals and added four blocks in 35 minutes.
Eric Maynor added 20 points and Brandon Rozzell 10 for the Rams (8-4), who shot a season-low 37.3 percent from the field (19 of 51) and committed 20 turnovers.
Christopher Tolson led Hampton with 18 points and Vincent Simpson added 16. The Pirates shot 38.5 percent (20 of 52), had 19 turnovers and hit 8 of 13 free throws.
After the Pirates (5-6) pulled to within 49-48 with 2:53 left in the game on Simpson’s 3-pointer, Sanders had a follow-up dunk and a three-point play on consecutive possessions to give the Rams a 54-48 lead with 1:42 remaining in the game.
- Va. Commonwealth beats Hampton 59-54
- Sudden recruiting surge could propel UNLV back to relevance next season
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- With Bennie Boatwright back, USC has all the ingredients for a special season
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU