UAB holds off Troy 73-68
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP)—Robert Vaden scored 24 points to lead Alabama-Birmingham to a 73-68 win against Troy on Saturday.
The Blazers (7-3) also got 20 points from Paul Delaney III and 13 from Channing Toney, who also grabbed eight rebounds.
Brandon Hazzard scored 27 points to lead Troy (4-7).
The victory gave UAB a sweep of the non-conference series between the Alabama rivals, as the Blazers won at Troy 87-66 in the season opener for both teams.
UAB led 34-27 at halftime and built its margin to 16 points early in the second half. But Troy chipped away as Hazzard warmed up from beyond the arc.
The Trojans pulled to within three points four times in the final 10 minutes. But each time, Vaden responded with a clutch three pointer of his own.
Delaney scored on a dunk and a follow shot, and Toney hit a pair of free throws to help UAB hang on down the stretch.
- UAB holds off Troy 73-68
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- Sudden recruiting surge could propel UNLV back to relevance next season
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent