Western Kentucky beats South Alabama 69-66
MOBILE, Ala. (AP)—A.J. Slaughter scored 21 points to lead Western Kentucky to a 69-66 win over South Alabama in both teams’ conference opener Thursday night.
The Hilltoppers (6-3, 1-0 Sun Belt Conference) received 20 points from Orlando Mendez-Valdez, who shot 7-for-11 from the field. Jeremy Evans chipped in with 12 points and two blocked shots.
Domonic Tilford scored a game-high 30 points for the Jaguars (6-5, 0-1). He shot 9 of 16 from the field and 7 of 11 from 3-point range. LaShun Watson and DeAndre Coleman added 10 points apiece for South Alabama.
The Jaguars outrebounded Western Kentucky 35-31, but shot only 57.1 percent from the free-throw line (8-for-14).
The Hilltoppers shot 48.2 percent from the field (27-for-56), and 43.8 percent from 3-point range (7-for-16).
- Western Kentucky beats South Alabama 69-66
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- K.J. Lawson's graceless goodbye to Memphis: Shouting 'F--- Tubby' on Snapchat