Utah State downs Southern Utah 72-65
CEDAR CITY, Utah (AP)—Jared Quayle scored 23 points, and Utah State went 9-for-10 from the foul line in the final 30 seconds, as the Aggies held off Southern Utah 72-65 Wednesday.
Utah State (7-1, 0-0 WAC) led 60-50 with 5:18 left, but Southern Utah closed the gap to 65-63 when David Marek was fouled behind the 3-point line and made all three free throws with 26.2 seconds left.
Quayle hit five foul shots and Jaxon Myaer made two more in the last 20 seconds to clinch the win.
Marek led Southern Utah (3-7, 2-0 Summit) with 21 points, while Tyler Quinney scored 20 and John Clifford added 14.
Gary Wilkinson scored 17 points for the Aggies, who shot 61 percent in the first half and 56 percent overall. Utah State also got 15 points from reserve Stavon Williams.
Utah State edged the Thunderbirds on the boards 27-25.
- Utah State downs Southern Utah 72-65
- Sudden recruiting surge could propel UNLV back to relevance next season
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- With Bennie Boatwright back, USC has all the ingredients for a special season
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU