SFA clinches top Southland seed with 58-52 win over UTSA
SAN ANTONIO (AP)—Matt Kingsley’s 17 points and eight rebounds led Stephen F. Austin to a 58-52 win Saturday over Texas-San Antonio.
Coupled with a loss by Lamar, the victory gave the Lumberjacks (25-4, 13-3) a share of its first Southland Conference title and the No. 1 seed in next week’s conference tournament.
UTSA (13-16, 7-9), which clinched the No. 8 seed, will face the Lumberjacks again Thursday in the tournament.
Gerald Fonzie scored 12 points and Josh Alexander added 11 for SFA.
The Roadrunners were led by Devin Gibson’s 17 points, nine rebounds and five assists. Isaiah Allen added 13 points.
SFA led 36-29 at halftime and had increased the margin to 15 midway through the second half. UTSA put together a 12-0 run to cut the deficit to 49-46 with 2:54 to play, but the Lumberjacks hit 7-of-8 from the foul line in the final minute to seal the victory.
- SFA clinches top Southland seed with 58-52 win over UTSA
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- K.J. Lawson's graceless goodbye to Memphis: Shouting 'F--- Tubby' on Snapchat