Ball Don't Lie - NBA

My second day in Nancy was very eventful. From 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. I was busy doing all kinds of tests, meetings, and practices. The problem with all of that was the fact that I had only slept three hours the night before, bringing my 36 hour total to just three hours of sleep.

I was picked up from the hotel at 7:45 because I left my car at the Arena. Clearly I was not driving that bad boy yet. The day started with a blood test downtown. That was immediately followed by a leg strength test that was basically designed to weaken my legs just enough to have no athleticism (no sleep didn't help either) at the 10 a.m. practice.

After practice, I was off to a doctor's office for heart tests. The assistant coach threw me my car keys and said I could learn how to drive a stick on the way to the hospital. He gave me a quick tutorial in the ways of the stick and I started up the car. Using the clutch, I put the car in reverse and hit the gas lightly. I guess I THOUGHT it was lightly because the car took off. We might have been suddenly going 25mph and I kept pressing the clutch thinking it was the break pedal out of panic. Right before we barreled into another car parked behind us, the car stalled and shut off. I took the keys out and threw them at the coach. I told him my first lesson was complete.

After my passenger seated ride to the hospital, it was time to do my heart tests. The first test was a stress test where I was asked to ride a bike at a high resistance and RPM until they felt satisfied. While I was waiting to begin my stress test I started dozing off in the waiting room. I was awakened by a sterile pad hitting me in the face from a box that the doc was setting on a shelf that fell out. He told me it was time to do my test (not in English but through sign language) so I went in and did it. Afterwards he told me that it could be a few minutes before the heart pictures (the second portion of the exam) so I could lay down in the test room on the exam bed until my turn came up.

It was a little odd to lie down on the exam table, but my cracked red eyes told the doctor the story. I needed sleep badly. It wouldn’t hurt to let me chill for a few. TWO AND A HALF HOURS LATER a different doctor woke me up and said it was time. I couldn’t believe it. Not only did I really just fall asleep for that long, but they allowed it. Beyond that, how in the world was the EKG machine so backed up?

After another practice, a much better practice after my big nap, I was dropped back off at the hotel. Day two was over. I left my car in the Arena parking lot, because I was clearly not driving to the hotel, and I got ride from my teammate.

Rod Benson is a Cal grad and former D-Leaguer who plays for SLUC Nancy, the reigning French league champion. When he's not busy taking tests, he blogs one or two times a week on Ball Don't Lie. Read his archive, pay a visit to and always support the Boom Tho movement.

Ball Don't Lie

Add to My Yahoo RSS

Related Photo Gallery

Y! Sports Blog