Nationals place Wander Suero, Roenis Elías on injured list

Todd Dybas
·2 min read

WASHINGTON -- The Nationals announced Monday relievers Wander Suero and Roenis Elías have been placed on the injured list. Neither were listed as having a specific injury. Both players have not participated in the Nationals' relaunch of training before the start of the 60-game season.

Suero's 78 appearances led the team last season. He finished with a 4.54 ERA.

Elías was acquired in a trade with Seattle at the deadline last year. He pitched just three innings before suffering a hamstring injury when running to first base, despite being told not to swing when making a rare appearance in the batter's box.

"It's all based on protocol now," Davey Martinez said of the timing. "Hopefully, we get them back here fairly soon. That's all I can tell you. Hopefully sooner than later."

RELATED: JUAN SOTO, VICTOR ROBLES, HOWIE KENDRICK AMONG SEVERAL NATIONALS PLAYERS STILL NOT IN SUMMER CAMP

Martinez said Suero and Elías could be cleared by Opening Day. The problem is they would have to pitch a lot to be ready for an in-game appearance in less than two weeks. Possible replacements include Ryne Harper, Kevin Quackenbush and Aaron Barrett, among others.

"When they come back, they've got to pitch," Martinez said. "They've got to build their pitch count up. They've got to face live hitters. They have to do a lot of things. I don't want to speculate anything, but when they come in, we'll see how they are, what they're doing and go from there."

The pair is among eight players who have not been part of workouts in Nationals Park since they began July 3. Howie Kendrick, Juan Soto and Victor Robles are among the group that have not participated. Combined with Suero and Elías, five players who appeared to be locks for the initial 30-man active roster -- and likely the 26-man roster when it was whittled down -- are yet to join the team. The season starts in 10 days.

"It's the same situation," Martinez said of the other absent players "Hopefully, we can get them back as soon as possible."

The Nationals announced at the start of camp two players tested positive for coronavirus. Several players have needed to go into quarantine because they came in contact with those players. The team is not allowed to announce which specific players tested positive without permission from those players.

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE NATIONALS TALK PODCAST

Stay connected to the Nationals with the MyTeams app. Click here to download for comprehensive coverage of your teams.

MORE NATIONALS NEWS:

Nationals place Wander Suero, Roenis Elas on injured list originally appeared on NBC Sports Washington