UFC star Nate Diaz is considering taking legal action over a false story that was published and later retracted by the Miami Herald.
The story, which was published on the Herald’s website on Wednesday, originally reported that Diaz had been arrested in Miami after a domestic violence incident, and had been hospitalized after attacking several police officers while he was being apprehended. The story spread on social media like wildfire, which is how Diaz and his publicist Zach Rosenfield found out about it.
Shortly after the story was published, Rosenfield told MMAJunkie that it was unequivocally false.
“The story is 100 percent and inequitably inaccurate,” Rosenfield said. “Nate has been in Stockton since the Tuesday after the Super Bowl (held Feb. 2 in Miami Gardens), and there is no possible way that what is being reported is relatable to him.
“At no point did Nate have any interactions with Miami law enforcement. Zero issues whatsoever, and he’s never been attached to anything close to domestic violence in his life.”
It turns out Diaz was not in Miami and hadn’t been for weeks, so he couldn’t have been the one arrested. The man arrested was an MMA fighter, 31-year-old Michael Albert Nates.
According to MMAJunkie, the Herald deleted its original story and republished an updated version that includes several notes about the original incorrect reporting. The Herald also tweeted about the error.
NOTE: In an initial version of this story, the Miami Herald incorrectly reported that mixed martial arts superstar Nate Diaz had been arrested in a domestic-violence case. The Herald apologizes for the error.
— Miami Herald (@MiamiHerald) February 12, 2020
The retraction and additional updates clarified the situation and made it clear that Diaz had nothing to do with the domestic violence incident, but Rosenfield told MMAJunkie that Diaz is considering suing the paper for defamation.
“This whole thing is utterly irresponsible, and we are exploring legal action,” Rosenfield said.
More from Yahoo Sports: