Cagewriter - Mixed Martial Arts

The card at the Cox Convention Center in Oklahoma City opened with possibly the worst in this year's string of terrible calls by locally assigned officials when Oklahoma-appointed Gary Ritter stopped the middleweight match between Ryan Jensen and Steve Steinbeiss. Jensen had Steinbeiss in a guillotine choke. Ritter tapped Steinbeiss' hand to see how he was doing and Steinbess gave a thumb's up sign to indicate he was OK. But the referee interpreted the tap as a submission and called the fight off at 3:56. The match was held over from UFN 18, when Jensen was not cleared to fight after he told the Nevada athletic commissions he had used the prescription drug Adderall.

Brock Larson's five-fight win streak came to a halt as he was outmuscled for 15 minutes by Mike Pierce (10-1) in a welterweight match. Pierce, a native of Vancouver, WA who was making his UFC debut, never came close to finishing Larson, but got the best of Larson in the clinch, outworked him on the ground, and won on straight 30-27 scores.

Iowa's Jeremy "L'il Heathen" Stephens got back into the win column by stopping Justin Buchholz in an entertaining slugfest. Buchholz mixed up a series of kicks early to set up his range and tagged Stephens in the eye with a punch, but Stephens stuck it out and rallied for the win. The end came when Stephens connected on a series of knees in the clinch and took the fight to the ground. Referee Kevin Nix stopped the fight to have the doctor check on a cut on Buchholz's forehead, and the fight was immediately stopped.

"This is exactly what I expected," said Stephens, who ended a two-fight losing streak. "I still can't see out of my left eye, he hits pretty hard, harder than I thought. I can take a hit and I don't stop, I keep pressing forward."

UFC president Dana White was initially furious with the call, though he backed off when he saw the replay. Still, he wasn't happy with the officiating in evening's early matches.

"The first fight, he gives the ref a thumb's up and the ref stops the fight," said White. "Then the next guy comes in and sits around and lets them stall for 15 minutes and do nothing. Then the third one, at first it looked like a bad call, so yeah, I was pretty pissed. … It's a problem the sport has, it's growing, there are only so many qualified guys out there who can call a fight."

C.B. Dolloway bested Jay Silva in one of those rare matches in which the loser looked like he was just getting warmed up and the winner looked like he got run over by a truck. Silva got the best of the fight's throughout, and nearly finished Dolloway at one point in the second, but Dolloway controlled enough of the first two rounds on the ground to win each. In the third, Silva's inexperience showed as he needed to keep the fight standing and try to finish the exhausted Dolloway, but he spent too much time on the ground. Even then, Silva nearly finished the fight in the final minute with a hellacious knee that opened a deep cut, but Dolloway held on and won on 29-28 scores.

Mike "Quicksand" Pyle rebounded from his short-notice UFC 98 loss to Brock Larson and scored a win over Chris Wilson. Pyle, a submission specialist, pulled a guillotine choke out of nowhere for a victory at 2:15 of the third round. It was his 16th submission win out of 18 career victories.

The Brian Stann-Steve Cantwell trilogy will not make anyone forget Arturo Gatti-Mickey Ward. Stann spent 15 minutes backpedaling, Cantwell rarely initiated action, and the two former WEC light heavyweight champions were jeered by the crowd. Stann was declared the winner on two scores of 30-27 and one 29-28. Cantwell took two fights in the series.

The scheduled lightweight fight between Sam Stout and Philippe Nover was cancelled when Nover suffered a seizure in the locker room, according to UFC president Dana White's Twitter account. Nover is alert and OK.

Related Articles


Add to My Yahoo RSS

Y! Sports Blog