MLB won't suspend Miguel Sano for assault allegations due to insufficient evidence

Big League Stew
Miguel Sano was accused of assault in December 2017, but MLB’s investigation didn’t turn up enough evidence to discipline him. (AP Photo)
Miguel Sano was accused of assault in December 2017, but MLB’s investigation didn’t turn up enough evidence to discipline him. (AP Photo)

On Friday, Major League Baseball announced that it had concluded its investigation into assault allegations that had been leveled against Minnesota Twins third baseman Miguel Sano. The result? Due to insufficient evidence, MLB will not be disciplining Sano. Here’s MLB’s full statement:

The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball has completed its investigation into an assault allegation made against Minnesota Twins third baseman Miguel Sanó.  The comprehensive investigation included interviews of more than 20 individuals, including Sanó and the complainant, as well as a review of available documents, including communication records.

At the conclusion of the investigation, the Office of the Commissioner found that there was insufficient evidence to support a disciplinary determination against Sanó, due to conflicting and inconsistent witness accounts and the absence of contemporaneous substantiation.  Barring the receipt of any new information or evidence, the Office of the Commissioner will not impose discipline on Sanó in connection with the alleged incident. 

Scroll to continue with content
Ad

The alleged incident took place in October of 2015. Betsy Bissen, a photographer who had worked at Twins games, was volunteering at a store where Sano was doing an autograph signing. When that was over, she accompanied Sano, Sano’s agent, and her boss to an Apple Store at the mall. While Sano was leaving the store from a back exit, Bissen said that Sano forcibly kissed and assaulted her while trying to drag her to a bathroom.

Bissen didn’t discuss the incident publicly until December 2017, when she told her story in a now-deleted Twitter post that bore the hashtag “#metoo,” which many women have used to share their stories of assault and harassment. At the time, she tweeted that she waited so long to talk about it because she was afraid no one would believe her, and that she would be stripped of her access by the Twins, which she needed to do her job. In the end, she decided to speak out so other women would know that they’re not alone.

After MLB announced its decision, Sano released a short statement.

“I want to thank Major League Baseball for conducting a thorough investigation and I’m happy to put this behind me.”

More MLB coverage from Yahoo Sports:

– – – – – –

Liz Roscher is a writer for Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email her at lizroscher@yahoo.com or follow her on twitter! Follow @lizroscher

What to Read Next