There is no bigger Philadelphia Eagles fan in baseball, or perhaps even in the entire world of sports, than Mike Trout. He might play for the Los Angeles Angels, but he grew up in South Jersey and is a lifelong Eagles fan.
He’s such a big Eagles fan — and there were so many people who wanted to talk to him about it — that the Angels held a conference call Tuesday for Trout to talk about their Super Bowl matchup against the New England Patriots.
He dropped his prediction about the big game and you’ll be shocked to hear he’s picking the Eagles. Even though he knows it’ll be difficult for the Eagles take on Tom Brady, whom Trout called “one of the best of all-time,” he thinks the Eagles can pull it out. Final score? 31-24 Eagles, with Brady throwing a late interception to seal it for the Birds.
Here are some other things we learned from Trout’s Eagles-centric conference call:
• Trout definitely thinks Philly sports fans get a bad rap, and enjoyed watching the many videos that Eagles fans posted after the win. But his favorite? The Eagles fan who ran into a pole while running beside a SEPTA train.
• He talked about his friendship with Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz, but said he doesn’t give him advice. “When we’re off the field we just like to hang out,” Trout said of Wentz, noting that they typically stay away from discussing football or baseball when they’re together.
• Trout was asked to pick his favorite Eagles players, past or present, to fill an Angels Stadium suite and he had no trouble there. He started with his good friends Carson Wentz and Zach Ertz, then added Brian Dawkins, Brian Westbrook, Donovan McNabb, and then after a moment’s thought, picked Ron Jaworski. That’s a suite that every Eagles fan would die to visit for even a minute.
• When Trout was asked about the atmosphere at the Linc on Sunday night, he confirmed that it was just as intense as it looked on TV. “When that pick-six happened in the first quarter, it’s the loudest thing I’ve ever been part of as a sports fan.”
• He definitely wants to get that atmosphere at Angels Stadium, and thinks a World Series would make that happen. With all the moves the Angels have made this offseason, like signing Shohei Ohtani, Trout said that the team is headed in the right direction.
• There was one question Trout wouldn’t answer. He was asked if he would rather see the Eagles win the Super Bowl or have the Angels make it to the World Series and lose. His exact words: “I’m not answering that.” Nobody can blame him for side-stepping that one.
• Incredibly, Trout doesn’t know if he’s going to the Super Bowl yet. He said it would mostly depend on what his wife wants to do, but he’s actually fine with it either way. He likes watching from home so he can see the commercials.
That might be the biggest takeaway here: Mike Trout is a famous and talented baseball player and a HUGE Eagles fan, but he wants to watch the Super Bowl commercials just like the rest of us.
More MLB coverage from Yahoo Sports:
– – – – – –