Mets takeaways from Thursday's game against Venezuela, including Ronny Mauricio and Brett Baty staying hot
The Mets lost to Team Venezuela, 6-4, on Thursday afternoon as their spring training slate continued.
Here are the takeaways...
- Ronny Mauricio started at shortstop. He drilled an opposite-field double off the left field wall in the fourth inning and had an infield single in the sixth.
- Brett Baty pinch-hit in the sixth inning and wasted no time, lining an RBI single to center field. He grounded into a double play his second and last time up.
- Mark Vientos went 0-for-3 with a strikeout.
- Darin Ruf, who went 0-for-3 earlier this week in his first spring training appearance, grounded out to third base on a 3-0 count his first time up and grounded out to second base his second time up. He drew a walk in his third and final plate appearance.
- Drew Smith worked around a single and walk while striking out two in a scoreless inning.
- Bryce Montes de Oca fired a dominant, perfect inning that included swinging strikeouts of Andres Gimenez and Salvador Perez -- both on 101 mph fastballs. Montes de Oca is on the periphery of the Mets' bullpen battle.
- Jose Butto, starting against a loaded Venezuela lineup that featured Jose Altuve and Ronald Acuna Jr., gave up three runs in a first inning that included a leadoff first-pitch homer by Altuve, a single by Eduardo Escobar, and an RBI single off the bat of Omar Narvaez.
Altuve ambushed Butto again leading off the second, depositing the first pitch he saw over the left field fence. Overall, Butto allowed five runs on five hits while walking four and striking out two in 2.0 innings.
- With many of the Mets' regulars participating in the WBC, their starting lineup featured one regular (Mark Canha, who had an RBI single), one backup (Tommy Pham, who went 0-for 2), one player on the roster bubble (Ruf), and lots of players who don't have much of a chance to make the team.
The Mets host the Houston Astros on Friday at 1:10 p.m. on SNY.
Justin Verlander gets the start for New York.