Meghan Markle's ex-boyfriend defends her over bullying claims

Rebecca Taylor
·Royal Correspondent
·3 min read
MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - OCTOBER 18:  Meghan, Duchess of Sussex looks on as she meets members of the public before attending an official reception at Government House on October 18, 2018 in Melbourne, Australia. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are on their official 16-day Autumn tour visiting cities in Australia, Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand.  (Photo by Scott Barbour/Getty Images)
Meghan in October 2018 in Melbourne, Australia. A former boyfriend has defended her against bullying claims. (Scott Barbour/Getty Images)

Meghan Markle's summer camp sweetheart has defended her against bullying claims made against her by former staff at Buckingham Palace.

Former boyfriend Joshua Silverstein said he imagined the Duchess of Sussex may not have "fallen in line" during her time as a senior royal.

He told Us Weekly: "I see her doing whatever it is she feels like she should do in order to be happy and coexist within a system that has probably not been very welcoming to who she is and where she comes from.

"When you find women of colour - particularly Black women - standing up for themselves and speaking out and speaking against what they feel [is] disrespect or oppression, often times whiteness tends to classify that in negative ways because they don’t want that to happen. 

"It’s almost like people are expected to know their place and whenever they don’t fall in line with that, then people say it’s a problem."

He also told the publication he didn't "see her" as bullying people during her time at the palace.

LOS ANGELES, CA - AUGUST 05:  Beatboxer Joshua Silverstein arrives at the premiere of Open Road Films'
Joshua Silverstein, here in August 2017. He dated Meghan briefly when the pair were teenagers. (Amanda Edwards/WireImage)

Read more: Prince Harry's biographer says it's 'appalling' that he 'didn't speak out' over wedding story

Silverstein and Meghan dated when they were 13, meeting at the Agape International Spiritual Centre and sharing their first kiss at summer camp. She recalled the story during an appearance on Larry King when she was an actor.

He revealed they broke up because he left her in a cinema during a screening of Clueless as he "didn't want to watch the romance part". 

Days before Prince Harry and Meghan's interview with Oprah Winfrey was broadcast in the US and UK, The Times reported that staff at the palace who had worked with them had been reduced to tears after some interactions with the duchess.

Watch: Meghan Markle Offers Advice to Mothers During a Surprise Visit to Women's Advocacy Group

Read more: Queen 'had second COVID jab' before first outing of 2021

But the duchess's spokesman denied allegations of bullying, calling the timing of the article a smear campaign and adding: "The duchess is saddened by this latest attack on her character, particularly as someone who has been the target of bullying herself and is deeply committed to supporting those who have experienced pain and trauma."

Buckingham Palace said the article would be taken seriously and invited people who wanted to have their say to come forward for an inquiry.

Meghan, 39, was defended by many of her friends and former co-workers online in the wake of the allegations too.

Janina Gavankar, who has known the duchess for 17 years, told ITV's This Morning: "I have seen how she works with people.

"She's not a bully. The truth will come out – there are plenty of emails and texts about that."

Jessica Mulroney, whose children were part of Meghan's wedding party, said: "I don’t know that anyone has ever had to deal with the pressure, the politics and the press like this woman. 

"In the face of it all, I have never seen her waver from kindness, empathy and love."

Watch: Prince Albert thinks Duke and Duchess of Sussex's tell-all interview was inappropriate